Sunday, June 17, 2007

Race/Trip Report: Keweenaw Chain Drive

Eric and I headed up for the umpteenth annual Keweenaw Chain Drive this past weekend. I didn't rightfully know for sure how long the drive would be, but had heard that the race was pretty cool. That was enough for me, and was enough to lure Eric away for a weekend of piratical skullduggery.
I think it would be apt to say that the 16 mile race is the Short and Fat on steroids (or something like that). There was a sweet cop lead roll through downtown Houghton. Some insanely fast and TERRIBLY rocky two-track. AND some pretty sweet singletrack, though I would put the course at 5% paved, 60% doubletrack, 35% singletrack... maybe. Starting in the very back, and spinning a SS meant getting stuck behind a ton of slowpokes in the first singletrack. Things got better though, and by the midpoint of my race I was mainly going at my own pace. Eric was caught behind a few people, but still seemed to be happy with the race all in all. The 32 miler I think was much more epic feeling - more singletrack and less crowded once the course split.

Notes:

1) Fun event, definately one to think about for next year. I am fairly confident that both Eric and I could podium in the 16 mile race with a few adjustments. I would be inclined to do the 32 though if I head up there again.
2) Houghton seems like a pretty cool town actually. I was pretty surprised by the vibe I got.
3) The drive up, if you are smart, isn't too bad, though the time change is stupid.
4) The Ojibwe Trail is sweet.

Thanks for a fun weekend Eric! We'll have to try and do more SPH roadtrips similar to this. Definately a great way to spend a weekend.

(How do I post pictures?... I'm just a stupid pirate)

1 comment:

Eric the Red said...

YArhhg! Thanky to mee pal blackbeard fur yar dedicated steering! I wager i'll plunder ye little town of Houghton next year! The trip was no walk of the plank! Thanks Black Beard!